Can you get a state pension if you live outside Canada?


    A. Old age pension (OAS) is based on residency in Canada. It differs from the Canada Pension Plan (CPP), which is based on contributions from employees and the self-employed.

    Canadian residents must have lived in Canada for at least 10 years after the age of 18, be 65 or older, and be a citizen or legal resident at the time their OAS application is approved.

    Non-residents must be a citizen or legal resident on the day of departure from Canada, be 65 years of age or older, and have lived in Canada for at least 20 years after the age of 18.

    If an OAS applicant does not reach the years of residence, they can still qualify if Canada has a social security agreement with another country in which they live or reside. Canada does not have such an agreement with Thailand, but Helen does with 58 other countries.

    Your father may be eligible for a partial OAS pension if he has lived in Canada for at least 10 years after the age of 18. Since your father lived in Canada until he was 26 years old, this can be up to 9 years. Without the help of a social security agreement with Thailand, he would need another year in Canada to qualify.

    Subsequent AHV payments can be repaid for up to 12 months, but would not apply in the case of your father because he has not yet met the 10-year criterion.

    If your father had worked in Canada, he would have contributed to the CPP. The plan was introduced in 1966 so it may have contributed for a few years before moving to Thailand at the age of 26 (around 1971).

    CPP has no residence restrictions. The international social security agreements the above coordinate residents’ social security contributions to potentially qualify for or increase social security benefits. Again, Thailand is not one of the countries that have an agreement with Canada. However, your father may have a small amount of CPP retirement pension and you should subscribe to it. turn Service Canada for more informations.


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here