Jane Hutt, the Welsh Minister for Social Justice, says that 38 million age.
Under the new initiative, eligible households will receive a one-time cash payment of £ 100 to cover the heating costs of their homes. The Welsh government says it is putting in support to deter individuals from using expensive lenders or loan sharks to make ends meet.
We explain below who can get the £ 100, but for more help with your energy bills – or if you live outside of Wales – check out our guide to housing and energy grants.
Check if you are eligible for the Welsh Winter Fuel Support Program
The Welsh scheme is open to households in which a member is in receipt of one or more of the following benefits between December 1, 2021 and January 31, 2022:
- Employment and support allowance
- Income-related allowance for job seekers
- social care
- Universal credit
- Tax credits for work
You must also be responsible for paying the energy bills for the property.
Your local authority will contact you to arrange payment, or you can submit an application
Local authorities write to households they believe meet the selection criteria. However, if you are eligible, you can apply yourself through your municipality. Once your eligibility is verified, the £ 100 will be deposited directly into your bank account. The money can be used by both prepaid people and standard loan counters.
We asked the Welsh Government if individuals could spend the £ 100 on anything other than energy and we will update this story as we know more.
The Welsh Government has yet to confirm exactly when payments will be made, when applications will be opened or when households will be contacted. However, it has said that the £ 100 does not affect your ability to get any other assistance or benefit, nor does it affect any outstanding benefit payments.
If you are having trouble paying your energy bills this winter, seek help available
We asked the Northern Irish, Scottish and UK governments if they plan to put in place similar measures this winter to help households with skyrocketing energy bills and we will update this story when we hear about it.
However, there are now several programs to help households across the UK with their energy bills. Here are a few examples (note that you can get these benefits in addition to the Welsh Government’s new Winter Fuel Assistance Program):
- Cold weather payments. Households can receive a payment of £ 25 for every seven days of frost.
- Discount for warm home. Low income households with certain benefits can potentially get £ 140 off their energy bill. Some have to apply for the discount directly from their utility company, while others are automatically eligible.
- Winter fuel payments. If you were born on or before September 26, 1955, you could get between £ 100 and £ 300 to cover your heating bills. You will receive the payment automatically if you receive the state pension or another social security benefit (no housing benefit, municipal tax reduction, child benefit or universal credit).
If you need help with your energy bills, it’s worth checking out our Grant Grabbing Guide, which lists the companies that can help you with debt. You can also read our free debt counseling guide and use our performance calculator to make sure you are getting everything you are entitled to.