What are your rights if you need to move or cancel?


    If you paid by credit card, you can try a Section 75 claim (or a chargeback).

    Section 75 is an important UK consumer protection act that was passed in the 1970s. This means your lender has the same responsibility as the retailer if something goes wrong with your purchase.

    The law means your credit card Got to Protect purchases over £ 100 for free. So if there is a problem, you can get your money back. This little-known scheme has gained a lot more prominence in recent weeks as the coronavirus has sparked a spate of cancellations and many have asked if Section 75 might help.

    The key to Section 75 is that the supplier must breach their contract with you. For example, if a catering company had a clause in their contract that if the reception was canceled by events beyond your control but then did not give you the refund you were contractually entitled to, you could get a full refund .

    If it acts according to the terms of the contract, you are unlikely to win the § 75 claim as the bank is not there to decide whether the contract is fair (if so, make the claim anyway, how You can then escalate your complaint to the ombudsman, who can use more than just contracts or laws to make a decision.

    To file a claim, you must contact your credit card company (you can still claim an account that has since been closed), not Visa, Mastercard or Amex. So if you have an HSBC Mastercard, ask HSBC, not Mastercard.

    For full details on how to file a claim, please see our guide to Section 75.

    If you paid with a credit card, you can also do a chargeback (see section above). It is likely that the credit card issuer will make a chargeback happier for you than it is for section 75 (a chargeback will receive money from the website owner’s bank, section 75 could be liable). However, the warnings in the section above also apply here.


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here