What is a Roth backdoor and how can it help me?


One of the most overlooked obstacles in retirement is taxes. If you retire and start withdrawing money from your traditional IRA or your traditional 401 (k) or 403 (b), you must owe income taxes on that money. For many whose retirement savings are on top of social security, it likely also means that a significant portion of your social security benefits will also be subject to income tax.

Income taxes can be a real challenge for people with a limited retirement budget. It’s a lot easier to do financially when you’re not faced with an annual income tax bill that strips off 10% to 20% of your annual income.

Roth IRAs don’t have this problem. The money in a Roth IRA comes straight from your checking account, which means you’ve already paid income tax on it. And once the money is in your Roth IRA it will grow over time, and when you start withdrawing it in retirement, The withdrawals are completely tax-free!

The biggest catch is that a Roth IRA has income limits. To contribute, your modified gross adjusted income must be less than $ 140,000 if you are single and less than $ 208,000 if you are married (in 2021; amounts vary each year). If your income is above this level, you are not eligible to contribute directly to a Roth IRA.

Anyone eligible for a Roth IRA can open a Roth IRA for themselves, and there are many great ways to open their own Roth IRA, but only those below a certain income level can contribute to a Roth IRA.

What if your income does not allow you to contribute to a Roth IRA and your workplace does not offer Roth retirement accounts? Also, what if you have old traditional IRA or 401 (k) investments that you wished for a Roth IRA? There is a solution to both problems and that is the “Roth backdoor”.

What is a Roth back door?

A “backdoor Roth” refers to the strategy of contributing to a traditional 401 (k) or traditional IRA and then converting those funds into a Roth IRA. Once the money is in the Roth IRA, wait until retirement. Withdrawals from this account are income tax free.

Why wouldn’t you contribute directly to a Roth IRA? A 401 (k) offers several advantages over a Roth IRA, and high income individuals cannot contribute directly to a Roth IRA.

What’s the catch? To do this “backdoor roth” you must pay income tax on the amount you convert. It is treated as taxable income so you will have a large income tax bill for the year you make the conversion.

Say you have $ 10,000 in an old 401 (k). If you use a “Backdoor Roth” strategy and convert it to a Roth IRA, you will have $ 10,000 taxable income that year which could devour your tax return or even require a tax payment to the IRS. However, if you are retired, the money you take out of your Roth IRA, including profitswill be tax free so you won’t owe any income tax on it when you withdraw it and any other income you earn will remain in a lower tax bracket.

Who could find a Roth back door useful?

Why would you do that

A good reason for this is when you have a year where your income is pretty low. For example, if you go through a period of unemployment, you are likely to be in a very low tax bracket for the year, so your tax rate on the money you withdrew into the Roth IRA will also be low.

Another reason for this is that you are assuming that retirement tax rates will be higher than they are now. Predicting future tax rates is a guessing game as it relies on both knowing what those tax brackets might look like and what your own income might look like. Some people may just want to future proof themselves.

Another reason is to use the rules of a Roth IRA. One benefit of a Roth IRA is that you don’t have to contribute by the age of 70, which is the case with a traditional IRA. If you convert it, you can bypass this rule.

How to do a back door roth

A “backdoor Roth” occurs when you move the money from a pre-tax investment account such as a 401 (k) or traditional IRA to an after-tax Roth IRA. Here are three common scenarios where this can happen, and how to pull each one off.

Make contributions to a traditional IRA, then roll them into a Roth IRA

If you find yourself in a situation where you exceed the income limit for a Roth IRA but still want to contribute, you can contribute to a traditional IRA and transfer the money in the IRA to a Roth IRA. This process is described in IRS Publication 590-A.

This is how it works.

If you don’t already have a traditional IRA, open an account with the broker of your choice. Then you contribute to this traditional IRA from your checking account. Each year, you can contribute up to the annual contribution limit (in 2021 the limit is $ 6,000 for those under 50 and $ 7,000 for those over 50) for a traditional IRA.

When you’re ready, in a year that makes the most sense for you, withdraw the part you want to convert to a Roth IRA from your traditional IRA. Then pay this amount into your Roth IRA within 60 days.

At the end of that tax year (in other words, the following spring), you owe tax on all traditional IRA contributions for which you applied for a withholding tax, as well as the income.

It’s that simple. When you have your traditional IRA and Roth IRA in the same investment house, they can do the middle steps on your behalf.

Convert a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA

What if you have an old IRA that you contributed to in the past at another stage of your life and now you just want to turn it into a Roth IRA? You can do that!

If you have a traditional IRA and would like all of your balances to become a Roth IRA, your investment firm can do this conversion for you upon request. Again, the following spring you owe income taxes on any past deductions for contributions as well as any income in that traditional IRA before you converted. Hence, you need to take this into account.

Make posts to a 401 (k) then roll it into a Roth IRA

Another option is to move money from a traditional 401 (k) or 403 (b) to a Roth iRA. This process is similar to converting a traditional IRA into a Roth IRA described above, except that you owe tax on the entire balance you transfer (since all contributions to a traditional 401 (k) or 403 (b) tax are deductible ).

The easiest way to do this is to identify a broker that you would like to host your Roth IRA with, then sign up for an account and get help from them to make this rollover happen. However, make sure you take income taxes into account when doing this. It could be a good time to do so if you have a windfall hit to cover the tax burden.

We appreciate your feedback on this article. Contact us at the Inquiries@thesimpledollar.com with comments or questions.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here